Skip to content
Use Case #5: Monitoring and Control of Algal-based Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Algal-based wastewater treatment has been confirmed as a suitable way to treat wastewater,
- Algal-based wastewater treatment has mainly been experimentally investigated; therefore, the operating parameters are yet to be optimised.
Key aims for improving water quality for irrigation networks:
- The new LOTUS sensor can be used in multi-stage algal-based waste-water treatment plants, monitoring in real time,
- The LOTUS sensor can perform corrective actions to achieve the desired water purity and maximize product yield.
How LOTUS will improve Monitoring and Control of Algal-based Wastewater Treatment Plant:
- The approach will rely on two main steps:
- Validation of LOTUS sensor solution as a tool to monitor the level of contamination at the different stages of the depollution process,
- Using the sensor as a tool to optimize the performance of the process, in terms of cost and depollution quality.
Outcomes of Use Case 5:
- Algal-based wastewater treatment has a large potential, especially in small communities and for small production plants.