Skip to content
Use Case #3: Water Quality Monitoring and Management Solution for Irrigation Networks
- In India, 80% of the total water is used for irrigation,
- The water is supplied to the fields without any water quality testing, causing problems related to crop growth and human health,
- Irrigation is increasingly performed through more advanced irrigation methods such as drip and sprinkler.
Key aims for improving water quality for irrigation networks:
- Improve crop yield by improving – water quality for irrigation, fertilizers usage and stability of irrigation in the Jalgaon district (Maharashtra),
How LOTUS will improve water quality for irrigation networks:
- LOTUS sensors will be used to provide information on the water quality from the different sources, optimizing water quality and quantity,
- Measurement of the contamination type and levels will be taken before and after deployment of LOTUS solution and compared,
- Various fertigation schedules validated in irrigation laboratories will be tested on field plots with different crops with and without LOTUS sensor.
Outcomes of Use Case 3:
- The average land holding in India is 2.5 to 3 ha per water source, corresponding to a potential of 2.6 million solutions deployed.